To know the only true God, honor and obey Him, and make Him known.
How can someone enter into the kingdom of heaven?
Now after John had been taken into custody,
Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying,
“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel.”
REPENT – Recognize your sin and desire to turn from it (Matthew 4:17; Proverbs 28:13).
- This includes an awareness of being totally unworthy to enter (Matthew 5:3).
- This includes an awareness of being totally inadequate to enter (Matthew 5:6).
- This awareness produces a sense of shame (Genesis 3:10).
BELIEVE THE GOSPEL – Trust in the Lord Jesus Christ for your salvation (John 3:16-18; Romans 10:9-11; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 Corinthians 15:1-8).
- Jesus is the only way (John 14:6).
- It is necessary to count the cost (Luke 14:25-33; Luke 9:23-26; Luke 9:62; Luke 18:28-30; Acts 14:22)
- One must come to Jesus in helpless, trusting dependence (Matthew 18:3).
- Jesus’ death provides for the forgiveness of sins (Matthew 26:26-29; Ephesians 1:7; Acts 13:32-39).
- Jesus rose from the dead and offers eternal life to all those who believe in Him (John 11:25-27).
- Jesus is Lord and God (John 8:24).
- There must be a conscious decision to enter through the narrow gate (Matthew 7:13-14).
- The evidence of true faith and legitimate entrance into the kingdom is demonstrated
by obedience (Matthew 7:21) and the fruit of a transformed life (2 Corinthians 5:17).
Many who think they are in the kingdom of God, are not in the kingdom at all
(Matthew 7:22-23; Luke 13:22-30; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Galatians 5:19-21).