To know the only true God, honor and obey Him, and make Him known.
THE FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM
the declaration of faith
- One must give testimony that there is only one true God, and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger.
five daily prayers
- These five daily prayer times are a personal obligation to God. It must be done according to a strict timetable. According to islamic thinking, this activity inspires in man a superior moral state, purifying the heart and helping to suppress indecent and harmful desires.
fasting in the month of ramadan
- Throughout the 9th month of Ramadan, all Muslims must abstain from eating and drinking from sunrise to sundown. It is also important to abstain from bad intentions, evil desires, and strife.
- Islam requires that every Muslim give 2.5% of his net annual income. This act of mercy is distributed among the poor and among communities that have special needs.
pilgrimage to mecca
- Every Muslim must make at least one trip to the Kaba in Mecca during his lifetime, unless he is too poor to do so.
- the man must be circumcised
- the woman must cover herself
- no Muslim should drink alcohol or eat pork
- every Muslim must defend the islamic faith and all Muslim territories